Are you familiar with the various applications such as Periscope and Meerkat that allow you to stream live video and connect with an audience in real time? These video streaming channels brought engagement with fans to a new level all from their mobile device. Facebook did not want to miss out on an opportunity to stay in the game, so they rolled out a live video streaming feature, Facebook Live. You may be wondering should I really get involved in another feature of social media? Well, I am here to answer that very question and provide you with instructions and tips on how to get started.
Should I be using Facebook Live to promote my business or organization?
In short the answer is yes! Facebook Live is a must do for your business and brand. You already have access to it if you have the application on your mobile device. You have a built-in audience because of your existing presence on Facebook. Your followers are notified that you are live and they can watch your stream. If followers are not available to watch your stream that’s ok, because with Facebook Live your video lives on your timeline, just like your other posts. People can check your videos out when it’s convenient for them.
So how do I go live using Facebook Live on my phone?
Going live on Facebook is pretty simple. Here are the steps to launch your live video stream:
1. Open the Facebook application on your phone.
2. From your Facebook Page click on “publish.” (If you are on a personal page you will click on “what’s on your mind”)
3. Once you click on publish, you will see several icons right above your keyboard. Click on the icon that has the outline of a person with two circles around it. This is the Facebook Live icon.
4. Once you click on the “Facebook Live” icon, Facebook will launch your camera for streaming. Click on continue and enter a description of your video. Think of this as your video title and what will draw people in. You can also select to make your video public or just viewable to fans. After you have created a title and selected your audience, click the blue “Go Live” button.
Now that you know how to stream the video, you may be wondering what you should post about. You can post about anything that your followers want to hear about. Some examples of how business can use Facebook live are hosting an interview, showing product demonstrations or going behind the scenes of a live event.
For a closer look at Facebook Live in action, check out the examples below:
National Geographic’s interview with Astronaut Abby The Jungle Book’s live inside look at the premier event Benefit’s weekly segment featuring make up tips and tricks There are so many ways to utilize Facebook Live–the opportunities really are endless!
Final Tips for using Facebook Live
Here are some final tips to help you get started.
- Be prepared. Think about what you want to talk about before you go live. Have a plan. Live video is great but there is not an opportunity to start over or do another take.
- Do not forget to engage with your viewers. One of the greatest features of Facebook Live is your ability to engage with viewers in real time. They want to feel like you are listening to them, so don’t talk at them, talk with them.
- Call to action. Implement/end your video with a call to action. Tell your viewers what you want them to do. It can be to subscribe to your video posts or share the video with a friend.
It is important to engage with your followers on a personal level and going live on Facebook lets this happen. Test out Facebook Live and see if it is a good tool for your business while allowing you to create an authentic and intimate connection with your following. If you have any questions about how to use Facebook Live, reach out. We would love to hear from you!