Another great #NPTalk! Thanks for everyone who shared their experiences and ideas pertaining to social media and their career advancement. Below is the overview of the discussion.
What can social media be used for?
• Building network
• Learn about industries (trends, news, etc) via links and shared content
• Connect with others who have similar interest (exchange stories/advice)
• Learn about events and conferences
• Great for finding new people with similar interests.
• Good platform to disseminate questions and idea
• Very useful to find ways to connect with specific organizations
• Resource to polish and update resumes (look at other people’s profiles to get ideas)
• Always work on expanding connections/presence on Linkedin. Although you may not be looking for a job right now, you want to build your network now so that it is there for you down the line when you need it.
• Use the status feature to share your accomplishments
Personal Blog/Social Media Hub Website
• Developing your own website allows people to learn more about you, and see your interests/writing style more clearly
• http://Flavors.me is a useful resource for starting this! (Only $20/year)
Social News Sites
Critical Step: take online relationship offline and meet people in real life (IRL)
• Asking someone to meet for coffee/drinks
• Meetup, tweetup, local business groups – find events, just go and speak – but do speak