When is the last time you checked your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other social media account? Chances are it was not too long ago, in fact, you probably logged onto at least one social media platform today. There is no denying that social media has become a part of our daily lives, and is a driving force in this digital world, but if you have not yet started to incorporate an ad spend into your Facebook business growth strategy there is a good chance that your customers are not seeing your posts.
The fact is that only about 2% of your Facebook business page fans are seeing any post placed organically. This means you have to pay to play in the Facebook world. And with over 2 billion people using Facebook each month, most likely you will want to play there.
Here is a guide that will walk you through exactly how to place a Facebook ad and start reaching your target audience on Facebook.
How To Place a Facebook Ad
1. Set a goal for your ad. There are several different types of ads that you can run on Facebook, so before you place an ad you need to have a goal in mind. Are you trying to send people to your website? Do you want to increase brand awareness? Are you trying to get more Facebook fans? Do you want to increase page engagement? All of these could be possible goals that you want to achieve through an ad and knowing what your goal is will help you to choose your Facebook marketing objective (covered in step 3).
2. Login to the Facebook Ads Manager at facebook.com/ads/manager. If you are new you will need to setup an ads account with Facebook. Once you are logged into the Facebook Ads Manager you are ready to start your ad campaign. Click the green button in the upper right-hand corner that says “create ad.”
3. Select your marketing objective. Now that you have started to setup your campaign you will need to select your marketing objective. This is where setting a goal prior to starting an ad is extremely helpful. Facebook has several options when it comes to the type of ad you can run, so your goal will help you determine which type of ad is right for you.
To learn more about the different Facebook campaign objectives read: “Facebook Ad Success: Understanding Facebook Marketing Objectives”
Once you select your objective you will name your campaign. Facebook will auto populate the campaign name with the type of objective you selected. We recommend adding more details so you can recognize the ad when checking ad performance. It’s a good idea to adopt a naming system so you can keep your ads organized based on their goals and objectives. An example Title (Something that tells you what the ad is)_Marketing Objective_Audience or additional info. The image below provides an example of how we name our Ads.
4. Define your audience and set a budget. Defining your audience is crucial for the success of your Facebook Ad. Your audience can be customized by location, age, gender, languages, interests, behaviors, and connections. Knowing your audience and narrowing it in a targeted way will maximize the impact of your ad. As you are defining your audience Facebook will provide you with an estimated daily reach so you can get a sense of how successful your ad may be. Once you have defined your audience for your ad, you can save your audience to use in future ads.
5. Set your Budget and Ad Set. Now that you have defined and saved your audience you will set your budget for the ad. You can choose to set a daily budget or a lifetime budget. The daily budget is the average you will spend every day and the lifetime budget is the maximum you will spend over the lifetime of your ad. You will also set the schedule of your ad. You will choose if you want the ad to run continuously or if you want to set a start and end date. Warning you may want to set an end date if you will not be checking your ads regularly. Facebook will provide you with a breakdown of the total days your will run and the amount you will spend running the ad. Double check the budget and dates before you go to the next step.
Finally, you will give a name to your “ad set”. It is helpful to include something that will tell you about your audience, budget or schedule. This is helpful if you decide to run the same ads and test different audiences. Once you have named your ad set you will click “continue.”
6. Create your ad. Now it is time to have some fun and go ahead and create your ad. First, you will choose the format of your ad: image, multiple images, video, etc. and upload your photos following Facebook’s image guidelines.
After you have set the format of your ad you will create the text, input the link, set your “call to action” button, preview the ad on the right-hand side and place your order. Facebook will review your order and approve it. If there are issues Facebook will send you a notice.
Now that you have learned how to set an ad on Facebook you can start reaching your audience on a platform where they are already active. The more you place ads, review results, run tests and continue this process the more effective your results will become. The Facebook ad platform is sophisticated and allows businesses to truly reach their audience. Getting results will depend on your willingness to work to maximize your efforts.
If you still have questions or would like some help coming up with a Facebook ad strategy that will get you results and reach your target audience, contact us today!
Don’t forget to sign up for our free updates by filling out the form below to stay in the social know about all things Facebook and more!